Sunday, May 17, 2015

Yeah, Baby!

There is not a whole lot to the tiny town of Moorpark, California.  Tucked in a small corner of Ventura County is this town, which has the college I went to, has a great Mexican food restaurant I like, a never-ending shopping center that was built only in the last 15 years, with a Target, a Kohl's, a Michael's craft store, an In-N-Out, and the location of where today's coffee break came from.  More important then any of these other run of the mill retail stores or fast food joints is the reason we ended up in this little city just west of Simi Valley; I have a very special family that lives there that were celebrating their son's first birthday.
I met them through one of my jobs but the connection was as though we've know each other for years.  Just a couple of kids who fell in love, got married, bought a home in Moorpark, and are now sharing the enjoyment of raising their kid with friends and family at the park across the street from where I spent 6 years getting a 2 year degree.  (Hey, I was working so it took a while!)
While we took the 25 minute drive over to the park, I had the husband Google coffee shops in Moorpark.  This little town only had just gotten a McDonald's by the time I graduated so I wasn't sure what to expect.  He found a place called It's A Grind. It had 4.5 stars, all great reviews, and was located in the never-ending shopping center.  After catching up with coworkers and eating my weight in birthday cake, we left our friends and future Mouseketeer and headed over.
We almost missed it because it was so small but upon entering, it had all the things I like to see in a cafe.  Shelves with board games and local newspapers, house products like mugs with the the cafe's name on it, local artist works and products where some of the proceeds are put back into the community, and big welcoming chairs and artwork.  The husband had read to me some of the menu items in the car but even as I walked in, I had no clue what I wanted.  The husband's heart was set on getting a blended Hawaiian sea salted caramel and I told the girl it was our first time and asked what she recommended.  She pointed to the sign hanging above some of the house product and said, some people enjoy this seasonal flavors, which the husband just happened to order one, but I wasn't really feeling them, some being pumpkin, coconut, and strawberry.  She then asked me if I wanted something hot or cold, all while being polite and seeming as though she genuinely wanted to help me.  Of course I look at the large drink board above us and see that this wasn't just about iced, blended or hot coffees.  There was a full selection of organic Numi teas, smoothies and other flavorful non-coffee drink options.  We had been out at the park where it had started to get cold as the sun hid behind clouds so I immediately told her I wanted a hot drink.
She next told me that a lot of people come in and see the large selection of flavors they can add to their drinks and people will make up their own combinations for coffees.  As an example, she said that people would order and mocha and add raspberry to it.  I knew then that's exactly what I wanted.  (Plus whipped cream)
They brought our drinks to the table and we we're not disappointed.  My camera mixed with the cloudy skies behind me, could not pick up the rich rose pink and light brown mix in my drink correctly.  It was wonderfully sweet, hitting each flavor perfectly.  Chocolate, coffee, raspberry, cream, love.  The husband said his drink was good, the best whipped cream he'd had at a coffee place, and just right for the sweet tooth.
We both only had one regret; we wished we'd ordered the smallest size.  Though the prices were spot on, the old saying came true, "Too much of a good thing", and we eventually had to walk away from the last few sips in our cups.
Something else that I thought was really neat was this little sign saying, "Grounds for your plants, Free, They will love you for it".  Apparently you can get coffee grinds for your gardening from them.  They are a small chain, mostly based in California, and they hit all the right notes in my book.  I look forward to another visit but the closest location is that Moorpark one.  I will have to invite my favorite little family to come with next time.  They also have a location in Austin, Texas, which is where my pen pal lives, so hopefully she will check out that location and tell me if she enjoyed it as much as I did.





No comments:

Post a Comment