Sunday, May 31, 2015

Bravo, Cafe Ole

Ah man! My vacuum broke again.  It was a loaner from a friend but it started blowing everything out of the side of the canister.  The husband and I, despite my loathing of going to Target on the weekends, headed to Target to pick up a new one.  We splurged and got the pet filter one cause now we will actually need that feature.
When we finished our quick trip to Target, I asked the husband to Google a coffee place in the West Hills area we were already in.  He couldn't find anything in the vicinity but the results yielded a place called Cafe Ole in Calabasas.  "Let's head there and see what's up.  Wait, This is just the tiny shopping center that we usually do our big loads of laundry at".  We've spent a lot of time at this laundromat and had no clue there was a restaurant a few doors down or that there was a coffee shop inside of said restaurant.
We entered the side door under a rather plan looking sign that said, "Santa Fe Cafe".  This was a Mexican food joint.   We were confused.  We ordered some food and headed to the dining room that extended to the store front.  That's where we saw the painted sign in the window for Cafe Ole and to our right was a counter with a woman behind.  She greeted us with a big smile and we looked behind her and saw a really enticing menu.  My eyes locked onto the specials board where I knew right away what I would be ordering.  The woman, now introduced to us as the owner, Jen, told us most of the drinks listed can be made with or without coffee.  When questioned why there was a random counter coffee shop in the middle of a Mexican restaurant, she said she had been there for about four years and there was some sort of family relationship to someone in the restaurant.  She continued by answering that the counter used to be a bar but now is her shop that she has open everyday until 2pm but is hoping to extend those hours soon.  I was dumbfounded that in the year and a half we have been going to this laundromat, we never knew this was here.
I ordered the first thing on the specials menu, Peanut Butter Chocolate iced blended with coffee.  When Jen asked if I wanted to add whipped cream and chocolate drizzle I didn't hesitate to say "Heck yeah!".  She had a little bit left in the blender and poured in into a small cup and gave us the extra.  The husband ordered a Paradise Passion iced tea.  Both were unbelievable delicious.  The husband also ordered a green tea lemonade to go, which was also good.
Our Mexican food was finally ready so we sat and ate and enjoyed a nice chat with Jen.  The food was nothing special but the drinks and the hospitality on the coffee bar side was enough to make me add Cafe Ole to the list of recommended restaurants at work later in the day.
I have so many people I want to bring here.  The Little One loves the Frappes at McDonald's and I know she will find something perfect here.  When my friend in Seattle comes down, I bet she will get the Cherry Chocolate iced blended.  And the menu had so many more things I want to go back and try.  I highly recommend checking this place out.  Ample parking in the back and shaded outside seating.  Check it out.
Amazing!!

It really is just a counter inside a restaurant.

The specials board.

Jen at work on our drinks.  Fast and friendly with lots of choices.  Even a baked goods display (not pictured).

No comments:

Post a Comment