Friday, May 1, 2015

The Boss

No, not Bruce Springsteen.  My Boss.  Back when I was first hired at one of my jobs, I would have never expected that my immediate supervisor and trainer would eventually became one of my dearest friends.  Over the years we've worked together, our ranks have changed; one boss, one not, both leads, both demoted, but no matter our ranks, we've always treated each other with respect which built a very strong bond.  Of course I have bosses and managers at my jobs over the years but no matter the rank, I've always called her Boss.
What's truly amazing, is that even though there is an age gap between us, we can always be ourselves and have tons of things in common.  Today we met for lunch and coffee.  We were originally going to try the coffee at a gelato place in the Northridge mall called Melt.  Unfortunately, they told us their machine wasn't working so we moved on to the Cinnabon across the food court.  All they had was ice blended or over ice coffees.  The girl at the counter gave us a sample so we chose the MochaLatta Chill (with whipped cream of course).  At first you could really taste the coffee but eventually it was overwhelmed with the chocolate flavor and at some point I'm sure I was knocked into a diabetic coma.  I don't know why but the sugary flavor intensified as I drank it and by the time I was done, I was sure I'd met my sugar quota until Halloween.  As we drank our coffees, we talked about the thing that bonds us most, Disney.  We talked about block out dates due to upcoming events, the excitement of the new product for the Disneyland 60th anniversary that's coming up, and our next trip for our coworkers birthday soon.  After all, it's all work related anyway.
Disney is a magical place, even to work at, and I've gained a wonderful second family working at the store I've been at for so many years. The Boss and I chatted about our families and friends outside of work as well.  We have been through a lot together and through it all, there is always smiles and making time for each other.  Even if it means we will need to start on insulin soon.


No comments:

Post a Comment