Friday, May 15, 2015

Hooray For Pen Pals

I made myself a tiny bit late for work today because I wanted to check the mail.  Even before opening our mailbox, I caught a slight whiff of coffee.  Sure enough, the only thing in our mailbox today was a package from my friend who moved to Texas and is now one of my favorite pen pals.  In the package, random as usual, was some special microwave popcorn, a big girly pencil, a wedding card with some foreign coins in it, a pin, and some coffee.
The coffee was given to her by her friend.  She ground the beans, put the grinds into zip top bags, and put a little info on them.  One is an Ethiopian coffee.  It has an interesting smell that I don't think I've ever smelled before.  Kinda flat and earthy.  I didn't choose to brew this one tonight but when I try it, you will know.
I chose to brew the other coffee.  Ruta Maya, as it's called, has a nice, full aroma and good flavor.  Not too rich but not too light.  This batch that my friend sent me is organic, brewed in Texas, and happens to currently be her favorite coffee.  I can see why.  Delicious!  She said that this coffee is available at the fast food chain in Texas called P. Terry's.  What's interesting is that when I first visited her in Austin, she told me about this place and said if she had to compare it to another place, she would say it's similar to In N Out here in L.A..  I doubt it's the same coffee but yet another fast food chain's coffee has impressed me.  Eventually I may put out a chart in order of worst to best fast food coffees.
As you can see, there is a color difference between the French press and the mug.  I accidentally added a touch too much milk.  The flavor of the coffee didn't need much, let alone the accidental over pour.  I received the mail in the afternoon but waited until after I got home from work to take my daily coffee break and it was definitely worth the wait.  There is some left over Ruta Maya so I may brew it and pack it up to share with my coworker during our break time together.  I think he will also enjoy this.
I need to be a good pen pal and send her some fun stuff back.  I've had something for her on my desk for a while but was gonna wait till I could send more things with it.  Maybe I will head out this weekend and make some pen pal care packages.  Cost Plus always has fun stuff that's easy to mail, even tiny bags of coffee.




No comments:

Post a Comment