Monday, May 18, 2015

Surprising Day

When I heard my friend was coming for a visit, I didn't expect the day to turn out the way it did.  My friend had moved to the East coast last summer and was dropping by this week.  Today was the day she picked to see me.  She had stayed at our friend's house last night so they both came over this afternoon.  Seeing as we used to walk to the near by Jack In The Box for lunch when she lived in California, we picked there to be a fun, old times sake kinda lunch and coffee idea.  Along with the husband, the four of us walked over and ordered some chow and each got an iced coffee.
The first time I'd had a mocha from there, I was hooked.  I know it's all flavor syrups but it is so good.  Tastes just like chocolate coffee.  Today I ordered my usual and my friends got the other flavors.  Two of them got the hazelnut and the other got the caramel.  They make an original as well but what's the fun in that?  All wonderfully flavored.  My friend did ask if they could add an extra shot and the girl behind the counter looked at her like she was speaking a different language.  After she had a few sips, she realized that with all that sugar, she was glad they couldn't give her an extra shot for her hearts sake.
We headed back to my house and while we waited for my friend's ride to come, we decided to try out some real coffee.  During the moving sale at the Cost Plus by our house, everything was 50-60% off but there was barely anything left.  We did find some interesting things, that because they were so cheap, we decided to try them.  We figured since we had our friends with us to try it, we would open the bourbon flavored coffee.  It has lots of adjectives on the bag so it sounded pretty good.  We whipped up a pot and had at it.  My friends said it was good but none of us felt there was enough flavor to it.  It fell flat, really.  I'm gonna send some to my pen pals and see if they feel the same way.
My friend's ride came and that's when things got awesome.  My friend had set up with her brother-in-law to drive down to our house from Fresno as a surprise to his wife, her sister/best friend.  Her sister was thoroughly surprised and it was so wonderful.  We all spent some time talking about family and old stories from when we were kids and stories about their kids. We laughed and had a fun time.  Then, as quickly as they came, they were off with my friend.  Our other friend stay a while to check out a board game we'd told her about and have some pizza and wine before taking off as well.
Here I thought it would be just a quiet little visit with our friend but it turned out to be a wonderful, family filled day of reminiscing.



No comments:

Post a Comment