Wednesday, June 10, 2015

Still Not What It Should Be

With a day like today, all you can do is play catch up.  It was cloudy and cool in the morning but then by the afternoon, the humidity hit and instead of raining, the sky decided to spit a few drops in the L.A. area.  The husband and I hit the dollar tree, the grocery store, and the post office.  We got home and cleaned up the house.  Leftover pork from last night made a terrific bowl of ramen today.
After getting all caught up, we took a coffee break.  The cloudy skies fooled you into thinking it was nice out but it was sticky and stuffy, so we popped on the a.c. and the husband made another iced coffee base.  We see the the true flavors of a coffee come through in these concentrated forms so we thought we would give the chipotle coffee another go.
It had promises of heat and smokiness that was never found when we brewed it hot the first time.  Upon this iced version, we still found no heat but the smokey flavor was much more noticeable.  I'm glad it had a more developed flavor but still disappointed with false advertising.  I have some Disneyland French vanilla that I'd like to try iced.  Any volunteers for a tasting with me?

7 comments:

  1. I've tried before to make iced coffee and it came out terribly. Can you tell me how the husband is making it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been doing it with my French press, but you can do it with any coffee maker. Just make it three times stronger than you normally do. While the coffee is still hot transfer it to a pitcher. Add about half a cup of sugar per liter of coffee to the hot coffee and stir until it dissolves. Fill a cup with ice to the top and pour your coffee base over the ice a little more than half and fill the rest with milk. You can save the coffee base for about a week in the fridge but you will probably use it up before then.

      Delete
    2. Have you tried it this way yet, Emma?

      Delete
    3. No but I think I'll try making some tonight and just pop it in the fridge for tomorrow :-D sorry I never responded guys. Thanks Patrick!

      Delete
  2. I'd love to have iced coffee with you and your husband. Let's set up a day to go out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is some French vanilla and hazelnut base in my fridge still. I know you're not a hazelnut fan but you are welcome to try it. Or you can wait until we brew another batch.

      Delete
  3. If you say it is good, I will try it. :-D

    ReplyDelete