Thursday, June 11, 2015

Birthday Fun for the Little One

I don't cook all that often anymore but when I lived with my parents and the Little One, I used to cook at least four times a week.  I loved making big meals that made my family happy.  Some things I made were more complicated like soups from scratch or the ever messy ground beef enchiladas, but for the most part, I kept it simple.
Today being the Little One's birthday, she asked me to break out the old oven mitts and make something I haven't made in years.  A simple dish with only 3 ingredients, (seasonings don't count) called Chicken Rollotini.  She got fresh green beans to steam and my mom made a chopped salad so all I had to do was whip up the main dish.  Of course I'll make this for her, I can't say no to her.  (Spoiled kiddo).  The recipe goes like this, lay chicken breast out flat, spread herbed cream cheese on it, add roasted red peppers (you can get the jarred kind already in strips so you don't even have to cut it) roll up and put seam side down in baking dish.  Bake 45 minutes to an hour at 375.  Boom.  That simple.
The Little One was thrilled to the moon.  We played old Atari and Nintendo games on an emulator and a little Disney Infinity and Mortal Kombat Vs DC on her 360.  Fun times.
Then it was cake time.  She requested an ice cream cake and left the boyfriend in charge of pick up and design.  It said Happy 27th Pig Pig... Meow.  Pig is a nickname I gave her a long time ago.  Don't worry, it means I love you.  The meow part was to confuse the baker, and it did, in that they originally spelled it Mew.  The boyfriend brought home this nice princess cake and then we personalized it by adding some Star Wars figurines.  Of course the kid loved it.
With it, she let me have my coffee in her awesome Mario Brothers mug.  I went with the Vanilla Sky coffee that I brought over last time I visited her.  I keep seeing that you can use International Delights instant coffee as creamer, so I added some Cafe Vienna to the Vanilla Sky and a touch of milk.  Not bad but I think after the cake and the Reese's Puff cereal treat bars, I was so sugared out that we didn't leave, we waddled to the car to head home.
Towards the end of cake time, we hopped on Skype so the Little One could thank our friends in Seattle for sending her some awesome gifts, like chocolate, socks, and other cool stuff.  They joined us in a cup of coffee, Donut Shop for the Keurig but they couldn't get the K-cup part of the coffee maker working so they opened it up and made it the old fashioned way.  Love her Mad Hatter mug from Disneyland.
The kiddo likes simple things, so she greatly appreciated today.  Lots of laughter and great food is all she ever wants.  Those are definitely the best things in life.  May she have many other amazing birthdays!

Added candied googly eyes, cause why not?!

This fed eight people with leftovers.  I took chicken breasts and halved them myself to save money on buy more chicken.


Attacks the Princesses!

Ooh, coffee in Seattle looks so good!

No comments:

Post a Comment