Sunday, June 7, 2015

One Step at a Time

Yesterday was such a long and busy day, that I never got the chance to blog.  Two important things happened in my life.  They were important enough for me to miss National Donut Day.  That is a day I shouldn't be missing so you know I was busy.
First, I picked up my older sister and headed out to Valencia to go to a graduation.  This was no ordinary graduation.  We were attending to watch my aunt walk the stage as she, in her 50's, had gone back to school, and today she would be getting her A.S. as an Accounting Technician.  My aunt is the youngest of four children.  When my grandma got too ill to care for herself and all the senior homes didn't pan out, my aunt took her into her home and cared for her.  I believe she cared for her for 12 years.  When my grandma passed a few years ago, my aunt enrolled into the College of the Canyons near her home.
Through late nights and hard work, bad health and bad printers, my aunt worked as hard as she could and it paid off.  I was beaming with pride and told anyone who would listen that she was graduating.  Going back to school is so hard to do but she did it and with high honors.  She got to wear a gold cord with her cap and gown so everyone could know her accomplishments.  I know everyone only cares about their own graduate when attending but this graduation, as I said before, was not your ordinary graduation.  Another graduate got a standing ovation upon receiving her diploma.  Her name is Doreetha Daniels.  She was receiving her A.A. in Social Science.  Sounds pretty ordinary until you learn that she is 99 years old.  There is a backstory and tribute in the graduation program for her.  She took a 63 year break between her education.  She has witnessed everything from the Great Depression to the moon landing to the introduction of the IPhone.  Her son drove her to her classes, some were even on another campus, she did an internship at the school, she was constantly found in the study halls, and in order to participate in her classes, had to learn computer technology that is commonplace for college students these days.
Both of these women are an inspiration.  Make goals, work hard, adapt, and never think your age defines you.
After the graduation, we went to lunch with my aunt.  I didn't end up having time to get coffee before I had to rush home and change for work.  It was my last day and I treated it like any other Friday, under staffed night.
From the minute I walked in the door, we were slammed.  I ended up taking a lunch and working late.  The busy night didn't allow for proper goodbyes or breaks.  I got to have a little bit of time with my boss outside, chatting.  Some guy in the pool area let out a big belch which cracked us up.  Ideally I wanted to do a one last break with my regular tea/coffee break coworker and the girl I'd been training for the last two weeks.  We got our mugs set up to have one of my favorite teas, lavender green tea, but we could barely get the picture together before the phones started ringing again.  It was stressful and annoying that I didn't get to enjoy my last night as much as I should have.  Business is business no matter what.  However, now that I no longer work there, I can set up dates outside of work breaks for coffee and tea with my mates.
The lavender tea has a calming, lightly floral taste.  It's smooth and very relaxing.  I can only find it once in a blue moon but the Asian Market I like carries it and for dirt cheap.
My mom knew it was my last day and put together a rest well package.  It contained two teas, one being lavender, (Yay!) and two cute new coffee mugs, and some nail files.  I plan to put all those things to good use while I take my time off and try to feel better.  After that long and busy day, I have much rest to catch up on.


No comments:

Post a Comment