Friday, July 3, 2015

Take A Seat At The Balconi

I'd never had siphon coffee before, but I can tell you that it produces a different, smoother coffee then any I've ever had before. The process of siphon coffee works like a percolator but looks like a lab experiment.  The coffee itself is ground finer, and the water is carefully watched so it boils to just the right temperature.  The following link will explain in more detail.  https://bluebottlecoffee.com/preparation-guides/siphon
My friend in L.A. had told me about a great place to get coffee that his colleague had recommended and figured since it was near his house, we could check it out together.  After my friend told me about the place, I came across it on a list from Eater L.A. of the top 44 place to get great coffee in L.A..  Ok, ok, so it's recommended twice, let's go already!
Balconi Coffee Company is a 3 minute walk from my friends house.  As you walk in, there is the small cafe feel with art for sale on the walls and interesting coffee paraphernalia in glass cabinets around the small shop.  Hidden up in the rafters was a disco ball.  Why?  No clue but maybe they use it in some of their art exhibits, like one that was posted up on the wall.  Along the seating side of the bar was a long row of bulbs, ready for someone to order the siphon coffee.  The barista was nice guy and asked if we wanted a treat from the small table top bakery case.  At 9 o'clock at night, there wasn't much left so we passed.  There was a list at the front of the days specials and whole coffees for sale.  My friend and I both had our eyes on the Almond Essence Latte with organic whole milk.
Each cup is made fresh so as we waited at a table for our lattes, I opened up some reviews on this place.  Nothing but rave reviews and calls to try to Almond Essence Latte.  Seems like we made the right choice.
The barista handed us our drinks, each with different latte art.  I got a little girl and my friend got a heart/tulip design.  We took it outside since the weather was so nice.
It could only be described as pure bliss.  The flavors were sweet and creamy.  The almond flavor was prominent but not overwhelming.  My friend almost did the Paula Deen eyeroll of satisfaction.
I will be returning to this place soon so try the different origins coffees.  Upon leaving the shop we saw various reviews from media speaking highly of Balconi, including a 2012 award for best funnel coffee from L.A. Weekly.  Bonus points, there is a crepe shop next door.






Oh no! I started to drink it and she got all creepy!

No comments:

Post a Comment