Wednesday, July 8, 2015

Aloha! E Komo Mai!

One of my favorite types of kope (coffee in Hawaiian) is Kona coffee.  There is strict laws on what can truly be called Kona coffee.  Usually because it's more expensive then other coffees, you will more often then not, have it blended with other types, such as Colombian or Brazilian coffee.  The Kona blends are usually half the price of the 100% Kona.  If the bag says, "100% Kona coffee" you will pay a little more, but because of the soil and atmosphere, you will get an amazing cup of coffee.
The Hawaiian Isles Kona Coffee Company has a great assortment of coffees including 100% Kona, but available at my local Cost Plus was 5 blended flavors, which also fit my wallet.  Kona Classic, Sunrise Kona, Vanilla Macadamia Nut Kona, Chocolate Macadamia Nut Kona, and the one I purchased, Toasted Coconut Kona coffee.
I chose today to try out my newest coffee buy because it was a special day at work.  Today was the release of the Lilo and Stitch Tsum Tsums.  Tsum Tsums, for those who are not familiar, are a mini plush toy based off a video game with the same name.  The dolls originated in Japan, and Tsum Tsum translates to "stack stack".  The dolls are meant to be stacked on top of each other.  They can be worn as keychains or pins with little adjustments and the bottoms of they dolls are made with a special material for cleaning your phone or tablet, as in after you played the game to wipe all those fingerprints off.  They are limitedly released at Disney Stores and Disney Parks which has made them into collectibles so people no longer play with them, but collect as many as they can.  Of course that leads to finding the rare ones on eBay for $30 a piece!
In the game, you line up 3 or more of a matching character to clear lines and get points.  Some characters have extra abilities, like to clear a whole line no matter if the characters are matching or not.  The more points you get, you can unlock new characters with different abilities.  It's a cute game and a fun time waster if you don't play the similar Candy Crush game.  Seeing as it is just coming to America from Japan, you can get way more plush characters and accessories over there or online.
Lilo and Stitch is one of my favorite Disney movies, which takes place in Hawaii, so I was thrilled with today's release and bought one of each character from the set.  The set includes, Lilo, Stitch, Lilo's doll Scrump, Angel, Jumba, and the Ugly Duckling from when Stitch was reading the book in Lilo's room.  If you look closely, the duckling has a tear in it's eye from when it was crying.  Aw.
And to go with the Hawaiian theme, I used my new Stitch mug.  In my store, we don't carry this mug, I found it at the Disney Store Outlet in Camarillo after the Lavender Festival.  It perfectly housed my single serving of coffee, freshly pressed in the French press.  It was aromatic and strong.  In fact, the strength of the coffee flavor made the coconut flavor almost invisible.  I will make another batch soon to see if it was the barista's error or if this coffee is just lightly flavored.  Either way, it was ono (delicious in Hawaiian) and I'd like to see how the other flavored Kona coffees are, once my pockets get a little deeper.
A hui hou, Mahalo!

I like the tiny gold clip that comes with each bag.


No comments:

Post a Comment