Saturday, May 19, 2018

Small Town Chai

Just east of Seattle, Washington, is the small suburb of Kirkland.  Kissing up against the calm waters of Lake Washington is the friendly downtown Kirkland community.  Blink and you will miss it.  Independent stores, pubs, and restaurants line the one way streets that lead you to the park on the waterfront.  Friday night brings happy hours.  The later than usual sunset keeps families playing together on the park paths.  Couples settle on benches under the large gazebo, pointing out the cute dogs to each other.
On a well landscaped corner in this little village sits Zoka Coffee.  A small chain here in Washington, they have their own blends and roasts available for sale.  At the front of the shop, a woman was taking a break from painting on a black canvas.  The tea selection includes some of my favorite teas.  As I couldn't decide between the tempting chai flavors or wanting to try one of their own blends, the cheery girl taking our orders suggested adding a shot of espresso to the chai; a dirty chai.  For myself, lavender chai with espresso.  My two friends had vanilla lattes, one hot and one over ice.  My chai had a very light lavender flavor among the creamy coffee without overwhelming me with spice.  A perfect dirty chai.  We sat and people watched with our drinks.  After, we checked out the Irish pub a few doors down.  I chose a local beer and we listened to a solo guitarist strum out acoustic covers of The Beatles and Pink Floyd songs.  A short, late afternoon trek that left me relaxed and content.





1 comment: