Tuesday, September 1, 2015

Easy, Breezy Evening

My idea of perfect weather changes based on my situation.  Sure, A crisp autumn day with a few clouds in the sky is ideal but if I'm gonna be at work during that optimum outdooriness, then I get upset.  I feel like it's a perfectly good day, wasted.  During this summer's heat, there isn't many days that I enjoy the weather, working or not.  However, there was an evening not too long ago that it was nice enough out to go for a hot drink and a stroll.
The Little Boss had had two workout classes during the day, and I had run errands with my sister.  We decided that we should meet up for coffee and some girly gossiping.
The Calabasas Commons is a shopping center near each of our houses with restaurants, a movie theater, a bookstore, and a fountain with live turtles in it.  Not gonna lie, that little fountain with the turtles is really cool.  I've not seen another like it anywhere else around here.  We picked the Corner Bakery for coffee but once we got there, my mood changed.  She still had some of her post-workout smoothie so she didn't order anything, but as the sun was setting, I felt like tea instead of a heavy coffee.  Specifically, mint tea.
The tea was exactly what I wanted.  The subtle mint flavor matched the quickly cooling summer air.
I got my cup of tea and we picked a spot on the side of the restaurant with a few shady trees.  We talked about the drama at the hotel and how they had offered me a job again but it was just my same position with 5 more added tasks, for less then a dollar more an hour.  Uh- no.
The sun finally set and we still had the rest the night to free to do whatever, so we called up another coworker of ours and told her to come meet us.  The Little Boss and I took a stroll to the bookstore at the other end of the Commons.
This Barnes and Noble has been there as long as I can remember and is one of the few chain retail bookstores left.  I usually buy all my books at libraries in their various used bookstores, but Barnes and Noble has a great selection of action figures, journals, and notecards that still brings me in.  As we walked around waiting for our friend, I was trying to explain something I saw online earlier in the week.  It was a set of sticky-note paper bookmarks that can be mixed and matched to create scenes at the top of your books.  Check out this link to see what I was talking about.

http://www.boredpanda.com/miniature-sticky-paper-bookmark-worlds-duncan-shotton/
 
I couldn't remember where I'd seen it until a few days later.  You could say having a bookmark would have helped.  See what I did there...
Our friend finally arrived.  We finished up our browse around the store and went outside where we found a table with exactly three chair and no one around to bother us.  The weather was perfect to just sit and catch up but we lost track of time.  After several hours of enjoying the night air and each others company, we went our separate ways home.


No comments:

Post a Comment