Friday, July 13, 2018

Need For Speed, Slows Down


In the years that I have been running this blog, I have found many supportive readers, who have taken an interest in not just the places I visit or my writing style, but even down to helping to suggest new places to try or offering motivation to keep putting out new content.  I love my casual readers just as much as my subscribed followers because just knowing that someone is enjoying my creative take on an action as simple as getting a cup of coffee makes my overly caffeinated heart soar.  But like with children, there is always a favorite.  When it comes to my blog, my very first subscriber has to be in my top three most appreciated readers, so when he offered to take me to check out a café he read about; I was excited to join my step dad for a newly discovered cup of Joe.
On the last cool morning of summer, my step dad picked me up in his Jaguar and we sped through the winding roads within the Santa Monica Mountains.  Though he drew up the rpm’s, the engine of the 2005 XKR convertible Jag stayed quiet as we accelerated along the curves of the hills and stopped at an unremarkable building.  Large print painted on the side of the wall claimed it was a market and café but the main marquee called this place Topanga Living Café. 
Upon entering, to the right is the restaurant’s counter, offering pastries and fresh pizza and salads.  Every other wall was either beautifully displayed with local artists creations or locally produced foods and coffee.  The menu boasted a clean eating feel with smoked salmon, kale with mushrooms, and falafel.  Everything displayed made my mouth water.  The Café had a laundry list of teas to choose from.  I will be returning to try Le Hammeau, a blend of lemongrass, mint, lavender, and some other herbal flavors that are my favorites.  It is available online through specialty stores but the delightful patio has just the perfect amount of space and quiet that begs to be sat in with teacup in one hand and drawing sketch pad in the other.  Even though our California drought has browned up the scenery, there are still ample evergreens and rocky cliffs to be captured in pencil while sitting among more local art (which is all available for purchase). 
My step dad and I ordered the Big Brekky and sat at a rounded wood table outside.  A closer look at the tables around us revealed marble topped sewing tables repurposed for diners.  I didn’t dare press the pedal to see if the mechanics on the old iron Singer table still moved but I was tempted to.  This tiny café had my creative left brain thinking and just being in the atmosphere gave me tons of artsy inspiration.  It must be this place, as my step dad noted he read celebrities like to dine here and I think there was a screenwriter at the table across from us.  Funky furniture and neighborhood crafts weren’t the reason we came though.  The coffee had excellent reviews.  I ordered a simple latte, which was light on both the creamy and coffee flavors but served so delicately, I wish I could have taken the dishware home with me.  My step dad must have still been in go mode as he ordered a double espresso followed by a macchiato.  Both delicious, as was breakfast! 
There are other place to try on the long Topanga Canyon street that goes almost from my front door to the beach, but as my step dad did his research to find a place for my readers to enjoy with us, Topanga Living Café had the most appealing menu to go with its great reviews.  I love suggestions from my followers including one I was just informed about that is close by that features coffee and…. fish.  But that is a blog for another day.







Latte
Double espresso
Macchiato

Big Brekky








1 comment: