Thursday, July 26, 2018

Give a Little, Get a Little

I've been making a substantial effort to take better care of myself lately.  Eating better, trying to make it to the gym, remembering sunscreen, working on my mental health, little things that will result in an overall healthier me.  Today, I decided to do something for another person's health.  Three, in fact.  It seemed a little off putting at first, but a funeral home in the next county over was running a blood drive today.  No motivation other than the sheer craving to pay it forward somehow on a blistering summer Wednesday.  However, in my trek on to do-gooderness, I got to reward myself after by meeting with my friend for dinner and dessert.
When it comes to donating blood, making sure you're properly hydrated and have your blood sugars up prevent dizziness and fainting, which are my biggest fears about donating.  Needles don't bother me in the least.  Phlebotomists, the Dracula of the medical industry, are highly trained and usually very patient, so I have no timidness laying my inner elbow out to them.  It's the horrible life draining feeling you get when your head and upper body no longer have blood circulating fast enough and you feel like you might drop dead right there.  To prevent that, I was extra cautious before and after my visit.  Coffee, pasta leftovers, and a bite of cold brew coffee chocolate bar and 32 ounces of water made up my morning.  Upon arriving to the funeral home, they offered a make your own ice cream sundae bar, coffee, and my ultimate caloric weakness, giant chocolate chip cookies.  I bypassed the coffee with ease with my end goal in site and as I read my paperwork, I tried to make small talk with the woman in charge with Cookie Monsteresq politeness.   I was then sent to the awaiting truck where a surprisingly large staff made busy in confined but air conditioned quarters, with up to four adjustable patient chairs and several rest areas.  Salty and sweet snacks as well as bottled water were in every nook of the truck.  I brought my own bottle of water and after a myriad of overly invasive questions, I was given my seat.  Each seat had a blanket offered and oversized darkened windows.  The parking lot faced a quiet street so the view was serene.  The sweet and funny "leech" that was attending to me made sure I was comfortable and even tried to match my aftercare tape to my dress.  Time passed in a blink and as I took the mandatory 15 minute rest, I ate a snack size bag of Chex Mix.
I made my exit feeling fine and headed east to the quiet town of Moorpark to meet my date.  Well over ten years ago, I'd graduated from the little community college here so I know the city, even with the slow development it has made in the years since.  Still, I had never been to Carrara Pastries, yet my friend had been to the one other location the family runs in Agoura Hills.  Opened by an Italian native, and later had the help of his Food Network famous brother, the shop originally sold just breads, pastries, and coffee but has since expanded to offer small plates, gelato, and wine.  The full bakery boasts beautiful Italian cakes in the dining room refrigerators.  As the sun continued to sizzle outside, my friend and I ordered pre dinner drinks.  It's advised to stay away from alcohol after giving blood and I, as happens only on rare occasion, was not in the mood for coffee.  I ordered an iced matcha latte and my friend choose a crisp Pinot Gris.  My latte was cool and refreshing but didn't offer the thicker consistency that matcha tea is known for and rather than creamy, it was watered down.  We each got a salad, split a decadent mushroom pasta dish and upon choosing dessert, we each went a different direction.  She picked the house favorite gelato called the Raffaello and a second scoop of chocolate hazelnut.  One bite of the Raffaello proves why it holds a top spot at Carrara's.  White chocolate, coconut, almond, with cereal pieces topped with Nutella.  I picked the Rum Baba.  An intoxicating cream filled cake that has been soaked in rum.  After a couple of bites of this 2 inch pastry, there was still about a centimeter of rum left behind.  Oops, I didn't mean to break the bloodletting rules but I didn't think it would be so deliciously overwhelming.
Now, at the end of the day, I not only ate way more food than on a regular day, but I'd had so much sugary treats that my teeth felt gross and my stomach was bloated.  I was rewarding myself for my good deed but also making sure I had enough substantial nutrition in me to prevent any illness.  Of course, another rule of donating blood was no heavy lifting so an evening trip to the gym was out.  All in all, it was all worth it.  I think the next time I visit Carrara I will try an Italian coffee for its authenticity.

A few extra bits:

This blood drive was provided by United Blood Services.  They are a blood bank, just as the Red Cross is but they service mostly Ventura County, where Red Cross is Los Angeles County.

When a person donates, they give one pint of blood, two cups.  A body has 7 to 12 pints of blood.  After a blood donation, the body can replenish the supply in about 24 hours.  However, because of testing and "just in case" situations, a healthy and eligible person can donate every two months.

My blood type is O negative.  That means I can give to any person and am the most commonly used blood type in a state of emergency when there is no time to test and match blood types.  What can I say, I'm a giver!

Another tip to prevent faintness is doing butt clenching and leg exercises while your donating.  It helps the blood continue to circulate without affecting the upper body.

Little One ended up needing blood during a surgery  a little over a year ago, so she gets very excited to hear when her friends and family donate.  I'm so happy someone paid is forward then for her as I am hopefully doing for someone now.






Very modern facilities, including that silly scenic light cover thing they use in gynecologists offices. Ha!









1 comment:

  1. I really would have liked to join you for this one. I was just an hour or two too late getting home from work.

    ReplyDelete