Thursday, November 15, 2018

Coffee And Fish; Did I Do It Right?

You read that right; just like Boss did when she read about it this past spring in an article featuring a restaurant to open in summer selling the kooky combo.  The Joint in Sherman Oaks, CA is marketed as a fresh seafood market and coffee + tea cafe.  It's obvious before you even enter the building that owner, Liwei Liao, was looking for a yin and yang atmosphere in his new brick and mortar eatery. Liwei Liao is founder of The Boba Truck, a widely popular food truck that needed no effort in the planning and layout of his first establishment but now needed to come up with a way to host a full fresh seafood market and a cafe without overwhelming guests with contradicting aromas.  The solution is two separate entrances and a thick wall with doorways to make the fish market seem like its own entity.  My curiosity was frenzied.  We entered through the market side and were greeted by silvery fish hanging on display behind the glass and stainless steel cases that housed all the sea fodder.  Every fish looked so fresh and plump that I was ready to grab a fork and get my sashimi on.  After “oohing and aahing” over all the bounty, we walked through the doorway, passed a small bar, to the coffee counter.  The coffee and tea menu board was simple and in front of us on the smooth counter were clipboards with the day’s locally and sustainably sourced dinner and tapas options.  Most prices were either on the high end or simply listed MP (market price). 
On the weekends, The Joint offers a brunch featuring breakfast sandwiches like crab and avocado toast and the smoked salmon breakfast roll.  Seasonally imported fish and seafood is also available and the menu is constantly changing to maintain what’s freshest.  As I did a bit of research to try to find the reason an entrepreneur would decide an Angler and Americano shop would work, I was met with no answer.  It seemed interviews and blogs about the significance of the duo were kept only for the owner to know.  However, I did learn the seating and tables in his dining room are made from 150 year old reclaimed lumber.  Investigative journalism aside, my final thoughts on this unique cafe would be to encourage you to try new combinations and see what truly works for you.  This time the coffee brought me in but only the fish will bring me back, and I don’t think I will ever be quoted for saying that more than once.
So how does this work?  Coffee first, than fish?  Dinner, followed by a hot cup of digestion aiding tea?  Here’s how we solved it:  Boss and I were cold from the short walk we had to take getting there.  Just metered parking available and the Bluebird Brasserie adjacent was hogging up any close spots with their valet service.  We started with our much needed hot drinks.  A cappuccino for myself and of course, a mocha for the boss.  We place a dinner order as well and found seats.  The coffee comes piping hot but in much smaller glasses than I’m used to.  My cappuccino falls flat, not spice, no flavor, nothing special, and a little heartbreaking for my expectations.  I had a sip of the littlest mocha I’d ever seen, and it was just the opposite.  Her drink was rich, creamy, and though scant, packed the right amount of cocoa flavor.  And before two sips were taken, the food arrived.  Perfectly pan-seared New Zealand Tai Snapper to split.  The green beans were blanched with a wonderfully seasoned balsamic dressing and the roasted potatoes were crispy on the outside, tender and fluffy on the inside.  I couldn't run the risk of letting my coffee get cold so I drank it alongside my dinner.  Those flavors did not remotely mesh but it wasn’t bad enough for me to just hold the drink until the end of the meal.  Despite the high dollar amount, I would happily pay it again for that meal.  Even if you skip the coffees, the food is incredible. 







The art on the walls was different machines used in the shop in this style.


Scaled down bar with a decent selection.
Cute sign in the women's restroom.
Clever wi-fi password.

1 comment: